Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Monday Morning Quaterback....

Another busy weekend in Atlanta comedy.

I must admit that often we wonder how other comedy events impact on the number of customers we see in a particular week or on an particular night.

For example, this weekend Jeff Foxworthy had a sold out show up in Gwinnett. Were it not for Jeff's show, would some number of those 12,000 people have come out to see Greg Giraldo? What about Bob Saget at the other club? He sold out some of his shows, did that have an impact on the number of people who came to The Punchline? We were busy all weekend and had few seats available for a number of shows, so there were a lot of people out consuming comedy this weekend.

In my heart of hearts, I believe that the answer to both questions is yes and no. Given the fact that each of the three performers being discussed here have very different presentation styles, and given the fact that each of the venues being discussed are very different as well, I suspect that there is little overlap.

We wonder about these things because we are always trying to stay on top of how to make sure that our target audience is aware of our product and how to stay on the short list of must do activities in a metro area filled with choices.

What are your thoughts?

Greg Giraldo is a comedian that I really enjoy watching and I hope that you'll see more of him in the coming months. It sounds like he's got 16 different projects that he is working on for Comedy Central, so expect to see him a bit there if nowhere else. Jamie Kaler is an interesting guy, and he is developing like you'd expect. I see a recurring character on a sitcom in his future. Eric Hunter is our Mark Lemke and I mean that in the best way.

It'll be interesting to see what happens this weekend with Christian. I think there is the opportunity for it to be huge. We'll see what you think.

Chris and Kathe are off to Montreal for the Just for Laughs Festival. I am very interested in hearing the gossip and perhaps even getting an update on a couple erroneous things that I have heard about us and the Atlanta comedy scene. Me thinks that there is someone trying to play games perhaps.....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at the Friday, 10:00 show. While I appreciate Jeff Foxworthy's ability to make people laugh, it's unlikely that his crowd would have made the trip to see Greg or Bob Saget.
Bob Saget's crowd is more like Greg's fanbase; but, for many people the desire to see 'Danny Tanner' curse, rant, and make lewd comments about the Olsen twins outweighs the desire to see Greg perform. I saw Bob last time he was here, and the novelty has worn off.
Personally, I would like to see more comedians like Greg Giraldo, who may not have the recognition like Saget but it is clear that they are the rising stars in comedy. These are people like Giraldo, Todd Barry, Tom Papa, Greg Rogell, and Dan Naturman. What do you think?

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home