Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Stand up for diversity

We are hosting a show tonight for NBC/Universal called "Stand-up for Diversity." It is a program designed to find nontraditional talent which may be underrepresented on network television.

The people from NBC have been terrific to work with.

For those of you who don't know, I started my comedy career at the old Comedy Act Theatre in midtown Atlanta. The Comedy Act was a comedy club that billed itself as "Atlanta's Premier Black Comedy Club." The interesting part of this story is that I had decided to become a comedian earlier that day. It never occurred to me that a business, never mind a comedy club, would choose to focus on one particular market in that way. Shows you what I know.

What I am always a little uncomfortable with is the idea that there needs to be a specific identification with any particular group identity in order for the material to be funny.

Does that make any sense?

Regardless of my ability to make sense this should be a great show, it's also being hosted by Don Curry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home